With many obstacles to clear to have it fully operational as a blog,
the new self-hosted website and blog for Pier Marton.
NEW YORK TIMES CRITIC’S PICK / WASHINGTON POST CRITIC’S PICK
95% FRESH ON ROTTENTOMATOES.COM
Locations: NY Quad , NY Maysles, Boston, Washington DC, San Francisco, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Houston, Seattle, Lake Worth
THE MANY REVIEWS:
- The New York Times
- The Los Angeles Times
- The Hollywood Reporter
- Filmmaker’s Magazine
- The Boston Globe
Go, Jon, go!
THURSDAY JULY 12 NYC
a FREE event at 8 p.m.
a rare screening of my piece “Like Men”
The last time it may have played in NY was at the New Museum, (curated by Marcia Tucker in her show “The Other Man: Alternative Representations of Masculinity alongside the B&W naked self-portraits of former Art Forum editor, John Coplans).
Two NY sites mentions:
(time should read 8 p.m.)
THE ABRONS ART CENTER/HENRY STREET SETTLEMENT
“THE TAPE IS INTENDED AS A PREFACE TO DISCUSSION RATHER THAN AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR IT.”
Three quotes about it:
‘Like Men’ is an unusual and unusually powerful combination of aesthetic and political sensibilities. The images and voices of men discussing men’s violence remain with you long after the last light has faded from the screen. I have seen the film’s illuminating intensity provoke illuminating and intense discussions.
Harry Brod – Writer and Editor, Theorizing Masculinities, Making of Masculinities & A Mensch Among Men: Explorations in Jewish Masculinities.
‘Like Men’ is Pier Marton’s heartfelt exposé of male vulnerability. It is a stunning effort, a real labor of love.
Linda Frye Burnham – The L.A. Weekly
‘Like Men’ is a refreshing relief from the conventional documentary approach which satisfies its purpose by generating ‘information’, thereby effectively dismissing the issue. The fact finding compulsion is critiqued by one of the speakers (anti-pornography writer, John Stoltenberg), who suggests that ‘reasons for violent behavior begin to look like excuses.’ Like Men is rather a mirror held up before men, asking if they recognize themselves. Their participation in the process of awareness is encouraged by the sensitivity of the work.
Gary Reynolds, Vinyl Magazine
From the publicity:
Based on Marton’s experiences at the National Conference on Men and Masculinity—which aimed to articulate male self-expression—(are we and/or do we) LIKE MEN features frank head-on interviews with men about culturally-conditioned male aggression, violence, and other damaging behaviors. Presented as a series of thoughtful and affective confessionals, Marton’s declared “tape to Wage War Against War… the War which men wage against women, children, and themselves,” is meant to inspire thoughtful introspection about American gender roles.
Marriage, hospital visits, adoption, employment, housing, hate crimes, schools..
Get the picture!
- If I walk in the woods and I see an animal, the purpose of my life was to see that animal. I can recollect it, I can notice it. I’m here to take note of. And that is beyond my ego, beyond anything that belongs to me, an observer, an observer.
- All children were in the Holocaust. Everybody was in the Holocaust.
- You can’t get rid of evil. We can’t, and I feel that so intensely. All the idiots that keep coming into the world and wrecking people’s lives.
- We’re animals. We’re violent. We’re criminal. We’re not so far away from the gorillas and the apes, those beautiful creatures. … And then, we’re supposed to be civilized.
- I’m like guerrilla warfare in my best books.
My short review:
The Fairy/La Fée
As Wallace Stevens has eloquently bemoaned, “reality is a cliché,” and The College of Pataphysics in France has for years attempted to remedy that particular form of cataclysm. Unbeknownst to most us, they have made very big decisions through such elaborate committees as the Sérénissime Sur-Commission des Provéditeurs Généraux .
Not to despair for movie-goers, a trio of Belgians has arrived at the scene and they seem to be handling the dire situation with much panache.
These directors/actors have triangulated an active zone of delirium around the flat roofs of the Northern French city of Le Havre.
Thanks to them and their escapades across police lines, mental institutions, and oil tanks everything may yet fall into place.
The price may be high for some: to lose control and emit strange vocal sounds while being confronted with Keaton and Tati’s heirs. –>A
- La soupe miso avec des oeufs
- Les Oméga 3: Vous en trouverez dans les algues, l’huile de chanvre, le lin, les poissons gras, les noix et les légumes verts.
- Le Kombucha
- Faites l’amour ou des câlins.
- Faites vous masser.
- Les hammams ou les saunas.
- Faites de l’exercice!
- Un smoothie banane/myrtilles/chou frisé/citron.
- L’eau de coco.
- Profitez de votre gueule de bois.
Et un site consacré à ce sujet-même, GueuledeBois.Info.